About Me

I was a second-career teacher, newly retired. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 sons-in-law, a baby granddaughter, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and worked on Long Island.

Sunday, March 9, 2025

Conversation With a Dragonfly



 Just look at you!

All dainty and glittering

like a bubble bath.


Chasing Dragonflies and Damselflies ...

You look familiar...

Haven't I seen you somewhere?

Was it on the list of Insects People Like?

What they don't know

is what an unerring hunter you are,

such a voracious aerial predator are you.

There you go...

Plotting your course like the ancient mariner

able to snatch your target in midair

focused singly on your prey amid a cloud of fluttering fraternity

brothers

attacking your lone target from the chaotic swarm.

Glutton...

Wolfishly consuming, tearing up your kill and mashing it into a

single glob.

Munch, munch, munch...

a wad of snuff for your mouth.

Bantam creature

Bottomless appetite

Not one for much smelling or pheromonal flirtations.

Not you.

Who knew?

Gilled predator, you hatch from an egg;

Hydrojet through water in search of aquatic prey.

Until...

you are ready to spread your wings and take your hunt to the sky.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I never thought of a dragonfly in such a predatory manner before. Gorgeous verse.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.