About Me

I was a second-career teacher, newly retired. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 sons-in-law, a baby granddaughter, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and worked on Long Island.

Sunday, March 2, 2025

Finding Joy

 


she wakes
before dawn without waiting for the alarm to sound.
the dogs, dozing in semi-sleep until she is ready.
putting on her boots and jacket, they wait for her.
they know it's cold outside.
she walks to the end of the drive to fetch the newspaper.
she thinks of the woman she's never met who delivers that paper each and every morning on time, day after every day.
it's a quiet walk and the sun is slowly rising, wrapping the sky in pink pashmina.
thinking, who even gets their news delivered anymore?

setting the paper down, wipes the dogs' feet and sets about getting their breakfast.
listening to the quiet of the morning, the familiar creaks remind her of the many mornings lived in this house.
it's always been her favorite time of day, preparing for its reveal.
she grabs a pen from the cup, a green one today.
opening the paper, skims the arts section, reads the book review, begins the crossword.
distracted, she embraces her gratitude.
in the stillness, there is magic.
she is ready




5 comments:

  1. The site will not let me sign in either way....Thank you for sharing this poem today! writertammyevans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. (newtreemom)
    Such a quiet, peaceful feeling in this writing. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to love in your morning musings! Especially this line:
    "it's a quiet walk and the sun is slowly rising, wrapping the sky in pink pashmina."
    Your words brought joy to my Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfectly beautiful, intimate, personal small moment you've shared here. I also loved "wrapping the sky in pink pashmina" - highlighted it right away as a warm and vivid image (and realizing I have a pink pashmina in my bag today!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stillness of the morning is so lovely isn't it. I love being up before everyone else to soak in the silence a bit. I enjoyed reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.