A Love Letter to Yoga
We've been together for close to forty years, maybe more.
We met on the Upper West Side in a studio in a worn down apartment building, or was it an old hotel? I can't remember.
What I will always remember is the feeling of entering the sacred space, the quiet whispers of yogis waiting for class to begin, the gentle unrolling of the sticky mat, the anticipation of moving my body in new ways, and learning that these habits are profoundly universal anywhere you practice.
Knowing nothing about Yoga, the asanas, pranayama, or meditation I bravely entered into a new community that has existed for over five thousand years. I was curious and searching for something.
Yoga helps me to connect to the present moment, to move through the world with greater patience and gratitude. It opens the heart and reminds us to be kind not only to others but to ourselves.
I've learned that a daily yoga practice is a journey, that the greatest challenge is not in the poses but in the showing up.
It's a quiet ritual that awakens the body and nourishes my soul.
It has become my daily companion, my way of having an intimate conversation with myself; my time for self-care and self-discovery.
Namaste.


You have expressed your feelings so well. Yoga helps us in so many ways.
ReplyDeleteI have struggled with yoga's focus during all the times when I need it the most and my mind is on fire. You are so right that yoga is about showing up and allowing your mind and body to refocus.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you articulated how meaningful yoga is to you. A line that particularly stood out to me is that yoga is "my way of having an intimate conversation with myself". So beautiful! I also love how you chose to format this post as a letter. I actually shared this with my students as a mentor text of a format they might try in their own slicing. Thank you!
ReplyDelete