About Me

I was a second-career teacher, newly retired. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 sons-in-law, a baby granddaughter, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and worked on Long Island.

Saturday, March 1, 2025

The Beauty and Discomfort




"You don't have to know everything about the mountain in front of you to take the next step" 

Louie Giglio

Being retired means losing the daily connection with my students and colleagues. No planning for a lesson or my outfit each day. The morning rush to put the laundry away and empty the dishwasher becomes leisurely and mediative.  I linger with a second cup of coffee in a real mug.

The beauty and discomfort of this transition leave me with an abundance of time for my thoughts.

Why not write?

It's been a minute since I've written anything. Ok, maybe longer than a minute.
It's been four years since I've been a slicer. I retired from teaching last June and 
other than writing letters to some student penpals, notes in greeting cards, and emails 
I've pretty much written 
nothing.

And it seems that now, more than ever I have so much to say.



So grateful to the SOLC  community for welcoming me back. So looking forward to connecting with other writers.
Lacking the confidence that I I will (be able to) do it.

I just know that I want to.

Day #1 in the can. 
Yay me!





6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I am retiring in May and am concerned that I will lose purpose. Writing gives me a purpose. I hope this month will be the blossoming of something new for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. enjoy every remaining moment of your teaching life. and yes, purpose is elusive but we are resourceful and patient!!!

      Delete
  2. I can feel your morning in those first lines. I often wonder what my writing life would be like when I retire. Would I have more or less to say and write about. I look forward to reading your slices because they may just help me to find the answer to that question. And grab that lack of confidence by the tail and give it a big swing out of here! :) Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much. i will try!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you decided to rejoin the challenge this year! It is daunting to think about writing and publishing 31 posts when we haven't been blogging regularly (as I almost never do throughout the year). One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. I am in the semi-retired camp of bloggers who wonder if I have something to say. I look forward to finding your thoughts and ideas

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.