About Me

I was a second-career teacher, newly retired. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 sons-in-law, a baby granddaughter, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and worked on Long Island.

Monday, March 8, 2021

Meditation in the kitchen

 

mix until just combined

bake until slightly puffed

batter should be liquidy

don't worry if the crust cracks

cook until more al dente than usual

let it mingle until the mixture gets increasingly saucy

don't be afraid to take it very there


If you feel intimidated by the above directions, you are not alone. And if you're like me, you have this tendency to look too far in and plunge deep into a state of overthink.


But if you're also like me, you love to create delicious food but can't do it without a recipe. And recipes can cause doubt and insecurity.

I've learned to trust the meditative nature of cooking and baking (there wasn't much else to do in those early months of lockdown). It's my way of letting go of what has happened before and avoid dwelling on what's coming next. In order to focus on cooking, I'm learning to be present.

The specificity of the directions is something I've grown to appreciate. 

Samantha Seneviratne's Chocolate-Peanut Butter Swirl Cookies

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies look delicious. After I gather ingredients, I have a tendency to rush into a recipe. Sometimes I discover too late that I added an ingredient that should have been the last thing. I remember that the second time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just when I left a comment that cookie slices stop my scroll, but no cookie slices yet this year. This is the 2nd cookie slice I've seen tonight. Cookies are my go-to treat. And the chocolate peanut butter swirl looks divine.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.