“Violet! For the last time, come up here and help
me zip my zipper.” Her tone took on the sound of desperate frustration
as Violet's mother reached up and down her back to find that damn zipper. Violet, not
easily distracted, was fixated on a rather chubby green caterpillar in the
garden. Wanting to create a cozy home for her new pet, she wondered if she
could sneak up to her room and past her mother to fetch a shoebox. Removing her
flip-flops, the girl crept upstairs and was rounding the corner into her
bedroom when she heard her mother who had been once or twice accused of
swearing like a sailor cry out, “Bloody hell, I’ve broken a nail, damn it.” “Violet! I need you NOW,” she pleaded.
![]() |
VAN CLEEF & ARPELS BROOCH DAISY , 1964 |
“Violet my angel, please pull my zipper up. And
don’t forget to hook the hook.” Zipper and hook firmly fixed, Violet set about to find a
suitable home for her caterpillar, which she hoped, was staying put where she carefully positioned it before the hasty departure to save Mother’s
manicure.



OMG - I LOVE your ending. ADORABLE and so real! This story builds slowly but surely to an "anticipated" and yet surprised ending.
ReplyDeleteA slice story--what fun! Makes me want to hear more about Violet and her life with glamorous mom. Hope you indulge us!
ReplyDeleteYour snippet holds so many possibilities. As I continued to read I wondered if Violet has a large selection of footwear neatly stored in shoeboxes? What a fun read.
ReplyDeleteViolet is becoming her own person. Love your story.
ReplyDeleteLove this! You should write a children's book :)
ReplyDelete