About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Friday, March 22, 2013

Structured


My reputation as a second grade teacher is that I provide students with a structured classroom. At least, I believe that is my reputation because honestly we don’t truly know what is said about us behind our backs.

Anyway, most of the time the relationship I have with the parents of my students is based upon mutual respect. There are occasional families that do not appreciate the limits and structure I provide. Usually their children are the ones that need our type of classroom the most.

But I digress because this is not a vent. This is a moment of gratitude.  I have a student in my class this year who is very bright and very ….. spirited. Her parents are smart and well educated. M has responded to my teaching style in such positive ways. She has blossomed this year and I adore her.

But I digress because this is not about me patting myself on the back.
As I mentioned above, this is a moment for gratitude.

What I am grateful for is this:

M’s parents do not miss an opportunity to thank me in notes, emails, or when they see me at a school event. They are so happy that their daughter loves coming to school each day and how she has made positive changes in her behavior towards her baby brothers at home. I thank them for their expression of appreciation all the time. It’s not every day that we hear how we positively affect our younger students. And boy oh boy, the negative stuff is as powerful as a knife in our hearts.

I am home today with my daughter who is having a second surgery in a month’s time. (It’s minor and she’s going to be fine). But I found out that M’s mom baked cookies for me today and sent them in to school.

And who wouldn't be grateful for cookies?

6 comments:

  1. "...the negative stuff is as powerful as a knife in our hearts.". That is the truth! Why can't we remember these kinds of heartfelt thanks just as powerfully? Those cookies carry the sweetness of gratitude. Eat up! :)



    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your all over the place "but I digress" kind of writing. Very clever! M seems to be a very fortunate child this year. And you a grateful teacher. Fortune for both! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The littlest things make us feel appreciated. This is making me think of all those little things that my students and parents have done. I think it will be an entry in my notebook for a future piece...used to remind myself of these little things on those negative days. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I taught it was always so nice to hear the appreciation from the parents. It sounds like this girl blossomed in your classroom....and maybe this is the first time she was allowed to do so...maybe her gifts were not recognized in years past. Enjoy your cookies...and know I will send positive enegy your daughter's way for her surgery. No matter how minor...it is still a small stress. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing feels better than helping a kid get on the right track at school. Except maybe being appreciated by her parents. With cookies! And those look yummy! Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for daughter's speedy recovery! Good to hear some appreciation from parents!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.