About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Vulnerability Makes Us Beautiful

Being recently enlightened by Brené Brown’s Ted Talk: The Power of Vulnerability makes me wonder where I’ve been for the last five years---under a rock?

Here are a few snippets I gleaned from the Talk:

stories are data with a soul
telling the story of who you are 
with your whole heart

life’s messy; clean it up
knock discomfort upside the head

with a sense of courage
let go of who you think you are
embrace who you ARE

say i love you first
do something with no guarantee
be willing to invest in relationships
stop controlling and predicting

live vulnerably




7 comments:

  1. I love Brene Brown. So glad you found her. Your post goes straight to the heart of her message. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! "Let go of who you think you are and embrace who you are." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a powerful post! Thank you for giving us notes from that TED talk. I loved this line the most:
    "with a sense of courage
    let go of who you think you are
    embrace who you ARE"
    Sometimes if feels as though this is the easiest thing in the world to do, and other days it feels impossible. Beautiful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these notes so much I just signed up for TED Talks and put on a watch later list. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these notes so much I just signed up for TED Talks and put on a watch later list. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were on the same wavelength today! Check out Glennon Doyle Melton's website, Momastery.com--I have a feeling you'll like her, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.