About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Art of Tidying Up



She says, Marie Kondo does that the magic of tidying up is to discard.

Why is this so monumental a task for me?
Why do I attach to objects that seem so trivial?
What is preventing me from throwing stuff out?

I’ve been listening to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and I am getting pumped to just Nike Up aleady.

But my stuff’s been with me for so long and there’s sooooo much of it.

I pop the  CD on in the car to listen and soak up what she says.

I visualize my de-cluttered space.
I must start according to category not room.

I will only have to tidy up once in my lifetime.
How can that be?

Because, says Marie that after you tidy up your life you will never get untidy again.

The idea of it fascinates me.
I am not tidy. I’ve narrowed my untidyness down to my kitchen, my “back room,” and my classroom.

But those 3 spaces are too many.
They clutter my mind with static.

It’s about reflecting on the relationship between me and my possessions



I can’t wait to start…

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I am intrigued by the idea that once I tidy up, I will never have to do it again. Fascinating...and maybe worth reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen Sokolowski wrote about something similar today. You should check out her blog post. (And she's a fellow Long Islander!)

    I really need to tidy-up my office. Not this week though. Too much going on online!

    Glad to see you back Slicing again this year, Rissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I am the great tidy-upper! But I know it is a challenge if it is not your thing! That fear...what if I need it again? Good luck and thanks for your post and book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am the great tidy-upper! But I know it is a challenge if it is not your thing! That fear...what if I need it again? Good luck and thanks for your post and book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KonMari is the best. Does it spark joy? If not, thank it for all it's done for you, then release it back into the universe. It will come back to you in a form that better suits who you are NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KonMari is the best. Does it spark joy? If not, thank it for all it's done for you, then release it back into the universe. It will come back to you in a form that better suits who you are NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the Kondo method to clean out my closet, and it was definitely freeing. Sometimes we hold on to things for sentimental reasons, and it's okay to let go and say thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.