About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Twenty Precious Minutes

I leave school at noon for my doctor’s appointment. As I drive, I think about having the next twenty minutes to be anywhere I want. Twenty whole minutes!
Twenty minutes is long enough for a quick pop in at Marshall’s for some retail therapy.
Twenty minutes is perfect for a drive through at Starbuck’s for a latte but my stomach is still not well enough (and the reason for the doctor’s appointment) to handle drinking coffee.
Twenty minutes in the library and I could pick up the book I have on reserve.
Twenty minutes would probably not be enough to go out of my way to pick up the dry cleaning.
I couldn’t make it in and out of the grocery store in twenty minutes.

What to do with my twenty minutes?
Marshall’s wins. It’s easy to get into and out of. 
I pull into the parking lot. I second-guess my decision.
Do I really want to shop for something I absolutely don't need? Nah.

The answer is suddenly crystal clear.
I turn the engine off; tune Sirius to The Bridge, take off my sunglasses, unbuckle my seat belt, and shut my eyes.

Twenty minutes later, I'm recharged and off to my appointment without one minute's worth of regret.




3 comments:

  1. Such an awesome way to spend your 20 minutes! I would probably do the same thing.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your willpower to be in the Marshall's parking lot and not go in!! Glad you stole a few minutes to recharge...something money can't buy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your time!

    I had 20 minutes today. I thought I would spend it with a little retail therapy. But I was tired so I sat in a low-lit room, drinking ice water, and reading. It was lovely. (Maybe not the best for my eyes though.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.