About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Sharing is Caring...Even if it's Tears

I just went to see Still Alice with my sister. I'd watched a bootleg copy alone in my den already and was gutted by the performances and the story.

Before we left for the movie theater, we were discussing how seeing a movie alone vs with a companion can be so uniquely different an experience. Movies, plays, concerts are so much richer when your companion is appreciating it. You catch it from each other; the experience becomes contagious.

Still Alice is not an enjoyable topic...it's downright terrifying. But the appreciation for the artform that was the movie was for me, enhanced with my sister beside me. Crying together, I felt the rawness of the emotions onscreen so differently the second time around.

The sharing heightened my senses.

Julianne Moore's acting was flawless.... both times.

14 comments:

  1. I agree...very sweet when we experience with another. I will have to see it, with my sister, of course! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see Still Alice, but I know that it will be a tough one to watch. I appreciated the image of you and your sister watching it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an insightful slice! I wish I could watch a movie but I fall asleep whether I'm watching it alone or with someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an insightful slice! I wish I could watch a movie but I fall asleep whether I'm watching it alone or with someone else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to watch a movie with my daughter. We cherish these times when we get to escape into a movie especially that we are together. Happy watching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm, interesting thought. I never thought about it this way. I am so accustomed to doing things alone that I never thought about the added richness of seeing a movie with someone else. I think I'll go to a movie this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special that you got to see the movie with your sister. Often I like to go to movies by myself. Sometimes in the middle of the day I have the theater to myself.
    Now I want to go and see a movie with a friend. And I want to check out the movie you saw. It sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How special that you got to see the movie with your sister. Often I like to go to movies by myself. Sometimes in the middle of the day I have the theater to myself.
    Now I want to go and see a movie with a friend. And I want to check out the movie you saw. It sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sharing movies I've seen with someone. It gives you a different perspective sometimes and sometimes it's just fun to see it again and talk about it. With tough subjects, it's good to have a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to convince myself that going to movies is one of the things ai can get used to doing alone. Having gone to a movie alone once what I found is that I needed to talk to people after the movie, but that it was okay that we had not seen it at the same time. For me, it is like reading a book alone, but talking about it after- booth good, just different experiences. Nice slice- it is a movie I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying to convince myself that going to movies is one of the things ai can get used to doing alone. Having gone to a movie alone once what I found is that I needed to talk to people after the movie, but that it was okay that we had not seen it at the same time. For me, it is like reading a book alone, but talking about it after- booth good, just different experiences. Nice slice- it is a movie I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharing the viewing and later sharing the reviewing is part of the joy of movies. Haven't seen this movie yet, but earlier today we walked past our local cinema and decided it was our next movie..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharing the viewing and later sharing the reviewing is part of the joy of movies. Haven't seen this movie yet, but earlier today we walked past our local cinema and decided it was our next movie..

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so right. Sharing enriches the experience. Emotion is contagious . Lucky sisters to share with. I don't know about this movie--I'll have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.