About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Pretty girl in pink

A father and daughter boarded my train headed for home. They sat in front, she with headphones in her ears and an iPod in her hand. Wearing a pink jacket and carrying a pink backpack, her hair was plaited in one long side braid with a pink headband on top. Her eyes, large and brown looked around the train, distant. The dad dressed smartly in beige. The girl sang, not words but throaty guttural tones. She rocked from side to side. Turning her head, she looked at me. I smiled and she returned mine, still humming. Dad opened his eyes, briefly. "Shhhh," he cautioned. Closing his eyes, he went back to his nap.

Still she hummed, quieted now.

2 comments:

  1. I love these kind of outward-looking slices. I can't help but think there is more to this story and that this is the kind of noticing that creates characters for our own stories to be told. Well done capturing each meaningful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely moment. Thank you for noticing and writing it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.