About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Keeping My Big Mouth Shut

The tension was palpable in the car coming home from an evening out. I knew the question was coming and I was panicked thinking about how to avoid getting into it. The smart thing would be to say “Let’s not discuss that now especially after such a lovely dinner.”  It would be so simple to say that.

For anyone but me.
I just can’t keep my mouth shut. Especially when I feel so strongly about something. If I’m asked, I answer.
I have no experience keeping anybody guessing about what I’m thinking.

And so of course, I reply. And after a glass of wine too many, the words fly out of my mouth unfiltered.

And so the next day I feel awful. I have to make amends. I apologize. I am not forgiven.

My lament comes from Jessica Whitmore’s 5 Reasons Slice today.

5 Reasons to Keep your Mouth Shut

1. If you know opening your mouth gets you into trouble, better off staying mum.
2. "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt." ~ Mark Twain
3. You learn more by listening.
4. Words can't be retracted.
5. "The best way to solve a problem is by opening your heart and not your mouth."
 ~ someone I'm not sure of


      
       
        


2



9 comments:

  1. I love the brutal honesty of your post, for we all have times where we should have kept our mouths shut. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. I have ALWAYS said my biggest problem is my mouth. I'm 30 and am trying SO HARD to learn to keep it shut. You're not in this battle alone!! Thank you for the transparency and in helping ME see I'm not the only "grown up" with this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to keep those words inside, isn't it. Your 5 reasons would be a good reminder for anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have no experience keeping anybody guessing about what I’m thinking. Yeah, me either. What my mouth doesn't say, my body language shouts. Someday I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I have no experience keeping anybody guessing about what I’m thinking. Yeah, me either. What my mouth doesn't say, my body language shouts. Someday I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your five reasons are good but oh so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wine makes me forget to use my filter too sometimes. I could SO relate to your slice today! :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the end with 5 reasons...hadn't heard the Mark Twain quote in awhile....its a good one. I'm from MO..gotta love Mark Twain.
    or as Judy Judy would say "God gave you one mouth and two ears for a reason!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. This side of 40 (and closer to 50), I'm not so big on keeping my mouth shut anymore. If I am asked, I will give an honest answer, too (though I would not intentionally hurt anyone's feelings). I would think that if the company I keep doesn't know me well enough to expect the answer I'd give, then afterwards they would, for better or worse. I'm sorry your apology was not accepted; that's the cruddy part of being honest and open, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.