About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

It's All in the Delivery

As I toss and turn, usually around 3AM I reach for the iPhone sitting next to me. I will read snippets of this or that, catch up on Facebook, the Daily Skimm, see what’s on sale at Banana Republic, and hope that I will get sleepy enough to get back to my dreams.

 Often, I remain sleepless until the 5AM alarm.

Yet there is a bright side. Of course, there is a bright side.
So much of what I read in those early morning hours inspires me to write or to do. Just the other night lying awake, I reached for my phone. I looked at the New York Times Sunday Style section and read a piece written by a mother about her daughter. Like her, I send my daughters inspiring quotes, sometimes poetry, and other times articles to read. The author though, used her daughter’s shoes as the vehicle to deliver the message. She wore her shoes every day, so mom’s reasoning was that the message would at least be seen and hopefully read every day.

The delivery of the message is so important. It can’t be preachy or it won’t be heard. It shouldn’t be too subtle or it won’t be valued. Putting the notes in the shoes was just right.

5 comments:

  1. Putting messages in shoes -- brilliant! I will have to try that with my daughter. I love that you send your daughters inspirational notes. I do that too sometimes, but I tape them to the bathroom mirror. That way, I know they will be seen! :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written your first paragraph!! Such a similar routine over here. I just love the messages in the shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reflection on a situation that could be very frustrating. You talk about the positives of insomnia and how you've turned your challenge into an experience that is meaningful for you I appreciate you sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am often up early too. I grab my iPhone and click around and read, write but I am ruined for the next day, often. Glad you aren't!
    Bonnie K.
    http://digitalbonnie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your piece as a metaphor for the messages we send to our students: hopefully one that is respectful and caring but firm with high expectations. Thank you for the beautiful message.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.