About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Monday, March 16, 2015

It's All About the Attitude

I spent yesterday and the early part of this morning prepping for a colonoscopy. I realize this isn’t the stuff slices are typically made of but I find myself bemused by my reaction to the circumstances.

Although this one isn’t the first one, and thank goodness it’s only routine,to say I absolutely HATE it is a serious understatement.
I hate the way the stuff tastes even when mixed with my choice of a clear glass of something. 
I hate the feeling of being hungry even though eating is that last thing I want to do when I’m getting ready for this thing.
I hate the anxiety it causes.
I hate having to rely upon my husband to get me to the doc’s office and wait to take me home.
I hate the way I feel as the anesthesia is wearing off.
I hate losing two days.
I hate talking about it.

But yet, I whine. I complain. I pity myself. I want my mommy.

I realize things could be oh-so-much worse. I’m relieved and grateful that I passed the test.

But as I reflect upon my attitude, I am baffled. No matter how much mental armor I don, my efforts at being able to go with the flow are thwarted even before I take the first sip of the revolting potion.

I’m sorry for bellyaching. But did I mention how much I hate it?


5 comments:

  1. I think sometimes the anticipation makes the reality even worse. Glad all is well. We all have to have a way to "belly ache." You are right, things could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes the anticipation makes the reality even worse. Glad all is well. We all have to have a way to "belly ache." You are right, things could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is about both the mud and the flowers...This procedure is definitely not flowers. I hate the way it takes control of our lives, be it temporarily. Remind yourself it is for your health. A necessary inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has Crohns and Colitis and has to have them frequently. She thinks that stuff is absolutely repulsive and would high five this post!! I'll have to share this with her because you are spot on describing the hatred for the process and losing two days. So complain away!! She always feels bad complaining about it too, so she'll find it comforting to know you feel the same way!! Glad your results show nothing out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's quite understandable! But I figure this is exactly what slices are supposed to be made of… people sharing an aspect of their day, something from their life! Maybe most of the time people have warm and fuzzy stories or nuggets of wisdom, but life isn't always that way, huh :)
    I'm glad it's over for you and that you passed!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.