About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I Am What I Am






One of the best paraprofessionals I ‘ve had in my room over the years told me that she loved how I wrote along with my students. She noticed that using my own writing as a model empowered the eager writers in our class.

I wrote my I AM poem for my students today and asked them for help in writing the last line. I jotted down their great ideas.
Then they wrote their own with great endings! I loved hearing their ideas for their own writing, for their peers, and for me.


Is there any other way to teach writing than to write with your students?

6 comments:

  1. There might be other ways, but none as good as writing along with them. Modeling an I Am poem is a great way to share yourself with your students, as an individual and as a writer. Sounds like a very positive experience all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing with my students is one of the most powerful things I have ever done as a writing teacher. Kids need to see us 'walk the walk' and get to know us and our writing lives. I feel the same way about reading. I always read with my students during DEAR time. Math? Not so much... :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus you'll never understand how to best navigate the troubles your students are likely to encounter if you haven't overcome them first. Have you heard of the National Writing Project? Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

      Delete
    2. Plus you'll never understand how to best navigate the troubles your students are likely to encounter if you haven't overcome them first. Have you heard of the National Writing Project? Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

      Delete
  3. We teach with our example! We create long lasting memories when we write with our students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really important you make time to write alongside your students. Such an important choice to make as a teacher! I love the poems, too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.