About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Hidden Potential

We’ve all had kids like him in our class.
Unfocused, seemingly unmotivated, constantly
zoning out, dazed, and confused.

Calling in his mom for a conference didn’t help.
Nagging him was counterproductive. Gentle reminders were useless. 
But here we are, just turning the corner on the 100th day of school
and all of a sudden, the light bulb pops on.




Watching him daydream
I find myself
On his back

Seeing him slump down deep in his seat
Sit up straight
I command

What’s up with Him
I ask
He just needs time

This train is moving at rocket-speed
How much time
                          I wonder

Time enough so
He feels secure

Time enough so
He learns to trust

Time enough so
He thinks he’s smart

With nothing to prove                                                  To the sky above
He emerges from the depths                                       Where he sparkles                                    


                                        Like the star
                                       That he is

7 comments:

  1. This reminds me a little of Words with Wings by Nikki Grimes. A student day dreams and a teacher turns it around. I love it when they finally sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Nikki Grimes but not sure I know this one...I will give a look at it. Thanks Leigh Anne!

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful....and makes me think, again, about how we 'teach' boys. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently today. I want to print and put in my desk drawer at school. :)
    b

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an important reminder for anyone who works with kids, any kids. Thank you for writing it, I'd like to save it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so easy to relate to this poem. Every day we try to engage and motivate our students. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great perspective. I love how you were able to reflect on this today. Great reminder to us all.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.