About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Friday, March 13, 2015

Hey Look at This!

Standing on the platform this morning, a chill spiking the air, I am greeting the students as they disembark their buses. Some smiling, a few sullen, but most can’t get to school fast enough. They have lots to share.

The bus driver is holding something as he climbs down the steps. I am thinking a student left something behind. But no, he too has something to share. He shows me the photograph in his hand.

“I shot this,” he says.  “Oh my gosh!” I reply.

It’s a snowy owl; eyes wide open and perched on a branch at that orangey time of dusk.

“Where did you find him?” I ask. “Jones Beach, West End 2,” says the photographer bus driver.

It was a beautiful shot-a gorgeous owl. We chatted about the behavior of these magnificent birds and how lucky he was to be at the right moment to spot this one and to capture that perfect picture.


It got me thinking not just about owls. But about how we are all so connected in school. From the kids to the teachers to the drivers of our buses; we all have something to share. And what makes us all so truly lucky is that at school, there is always someone to share our stories with.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder that we all have something wonderful to share...and that sometimes we can be very surprised by what others have to share...and how wonderful it is when others seek us out to share something like a beautiful picture of an owl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great reminder that we all have something wonderful to share...and that sometimes we can be very surprised by what others have to share...and how wonderful it is when others seek us out to share something like a beautiful picture of an owl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice connection you made! The bus drivers are so important in the lives of our students as many of them drive the children to school on their very first day up into high school. Bus drivers know the kids well yet we don't know them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice connection you made! The bus drivers are so important in the lives of our students as many of them drive the children to school on their very first day up into high school. Bus drivers know the kids well yet we don't know them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for community! It is a real advantage for kids to see that everyone is multifaceted too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for community! It is a real advantage for kids to see that everyone is multifaceted too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.