About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Elizabeth in the Rain

Sometimes, a stranger enters your world, if only for minutes and makes an impact on your thoughts, your outlook, your mood, your whole day.

My morning began with such an encounter.....

          Elizabeth in the Rain


I drive toward her in the rain

Her hands want me to stop

I slow down roll down the window

“Is this the way to the station?”

“It is ….. but far from here.”

In a split second I decide
“I’ll take you there.”

“Bless your soul.”

We chat
She’s just what I need today, thanks God

To show me what’s good in the world

Elizabeth in the rain
She already knows





6 comments:

  1. A powerful closing to the poem:

    Elizabeth in the rain
    She already knows

    And now you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written...so powerful...so many might have driven on...fear of what might happen...you opened your doors and received a gift. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this! Especially the title because I think it speaks volumes about why you stopped and why you were needed today. You have inpspired me. I also have a similar story and perhaps I'll write it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this poem too, especially your use of dialogue within it. Those few words from each of you told the story of a small but meaningful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. enjoyed your poem immensely. Thank you for sharing your slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how one small moment can make one big impact. It was very nice of you to help a someone out in the day in age that encourages us to just look away and not notice a person in need.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.