About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Birds and The Beetles


No, dear reader this is not a blog entry about iconic musical bands of the sixties. Nor is it about reproduction. This entry is about the quandary I’m currently facing. I use “facing” rather than “suffering” because in my heart; albeit really deep down in there, I know this is a test. A test of mental fortitude and problem solving skills and one of which failure will not be tolerated.

The fact is that Mother Nature is trying her best to call on me because she knows I’ve always been an ally to her birds and bees.



I warn my students not to squish anything that crawls. The kids in my classes always learn how spiders and other bugs can be our friends by doing away with more harmful insects. I love birds. The sound of their laughter starts my day and their songs soundtrack my outdoor life.

But here I am trying to end their lives. Well, not the totality of their species. I seek to destroy the Japanese Beetles who are devouring my ornamental plants and the NYC pigeons whom have decided to nest on the air conditioning unit outside my daughter’s bedroom window.
As for the beetles- these voraciously iridescent creatures have chewed my lush foliage down to their leafy veins.
And the pigeons, oh my goodness, well they peer through the slit in the curtain as they protectively coo over their freshly laid egg. Creepy!

There’s got to be a solution to these but I’ll be damned if I’ve been able to figure it out yet. But the thing I know for sure is that which doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.

And these critters better beware, because I am literally going to kick their collective asses.

3 comments:

  1. Solidarity sister! I too love our creature friends. But, we also have had our share of critter trouble. Japanese beetles do not enjoy soap and water in a spray format. But I'm not sure what that would do to your plants. I'm so sorry they have found your plants. (In all of NYC, they chose you!)
    Good luck with the pigeons. I've got nothing for you on that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your lead! Especially the "test of mental fortitude." Hope you win your battle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha! I love your closing sentiment, Rissa! I share your love of nature and rarely kill a bug. I've even taught my students that we capture spiders and release them outside. But, they do cross a line when they start feasting on your foliage :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.