About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Who Am I?


Not knowing my lineage further back than my grandparents makes me feel unknown.

I envy those of you who have such strong familial ties to a city in a country other than here. I wish to be acquainted with stories about long-ago ancestors not known by me personally but fully recognizable by the tales told about them, like you do.

Unsure about my history makes me feel different, unidentified. It’s like a piece is missing from me.

But you see, not knowing is just one piece of the mysterious puzzle of me. The other piece is the left-out feeling of belonging to something larger than my nuclear family, as grounding as we may be.
My dad in the NYFD

And if I feel that a piece is missing from me, it is certain to be missed by my children at some point in their lives. Perhaps when I am no longer around.

That is when it hit me.  When my parents were no longer around, the hole they left in my life felt profoundly larger without this bridge to my heritage.

Doing my best to keep our legacy alive!
I think we all deserve to be part of a family history….to be kept alive long after we are gone by those who knew us solely through the stories they tell about us.
Me and my mom on my wedding day


2 comments:

  1. Family stories can be rich...but sometimes we must begin our own family histories...and it sounds like you are doing this for your children. I am fortunate that I have a strong sense of family history...but there has always been a hole on my father's side as I never knew his parents...so missed their stories. Your post has made me glad that I am trying to write our family stories for future generations. I am sure someone, someday might be glad I did. :-) Your pictures show a strong family core with you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family history has to start somewhere. It sounds like you are starting it for your family, especially for your children. Most of my grandparents died when I was young, so I don't have many strong memories of them outside the stories my parents told me. And my family came to the US so long ago (back in the mid 1600s) that we don't have any ties left with the countries they came from.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.