About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday Morning Coffee


I smell it brewing. I wonder if he’s using the imported from Italy coffee. Weekends are special that way. He wakes up before me. Unlike workaday weekdays when I use the domestic coffee and I begin my day at 5am.  On Saturday, after I let the dogs out, I put the puppy back to sleep, Ralph goes into his doggie bed at the foot of mine and I slide under the rumpled but still warm covers dreaming of Italian coffee and frothy milk. 

On Saturday, he takes care of our morning kitchen rituals like emptying the dishwasher, feeding the dogs, and getting the coffee started. As I fall back asleep, I dreamily recognize the clatter of our routine; sections of the paper scattering over the table, cabinet doors opening and closing, dishes stacking, silverware tinkling, dog food scooping, and water running from the tap for the coffee.


Each sound so obvious, every smell so familiar; I can tell what is for breakfast as I dreamily doze back to sleep.  Definitely the imported coffee…..
According to popular myth, coffee was first discovered by a goat herder named Kaldi in Ethiopia in the 9th century.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like the perfect ritual to have on the weekends. There is nothing like the aroma of coffee to coax you out of a warm bed. I can't wait to read more about your furry friends too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.