About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

My Cooking Life

I enjoy cooking. I'd classify myself as a capable cook. Mostly, I need to follow a recipe. 

My cooking habits are particular. My sister laughs at me taping the instructions on the cupboard above the counter where I prepare my recipes especially the Martha Stewart Thanksgiving turkey that I’ve been preparing for like 20 years.

I prefer quiet in the kitchen. I like company there. The dogs underfoot are fine and music is nice. Or, I have the tv on in the other room. Is it quirky that if I hear something I want to see, I’ll stop what I’m doing, hands covered and sometimes dripping in whatever and walk over to see what's on?

Before my husband taught me about staying organized, I'd be up to my ponytail in dirty pots and pans; my countertops covered with pretty much no space to work. That I needed him to point out about washing things as I go makes me chuckle now. Does that mean I don't see the trees for the forest?

When we got engaged, I knew nothing about cooking. I once made him the best grilled cheese sandwich he ever tasted….pure luck. The second time he asked for it, I could not duplicate my virgin success for anything! He married me anyway.

My mother did not enjoy having anyone around while she cooked. She was a good cook. Probably more capable than I am. She also followed recipes. It’s funny but despite the fact that she didn’t let me near the kitchen, I still inherited some of her ability. Must come through the shared DNA. My husband loved her cooking. So did my dad.



I guess my quiet kitchen helps me connect to my mom. Sometimes I imagine that I am sitting beside her as she prepares a meal, talking and listening to her stories.  And it is delicious.

A Passover Matzoh Brie made with my mother's technique.

1 comment:

  1. I always want to be a better cook than I really am. I MUST follow recipes and I get impatient if the prep takes longer than 20 minutes. I love how cooking connects you to your mom!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.