About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Letter to My Younger Self

Me with my inspiration...
then
and now.

Today’s inspiration is brought to me by my younger daughter. She is a writer and truly has a way with her words. She blogs when she feels like it and her writing is always insightful.






Dear 18 year old Rissa,
       Soon you will meet the love of your life so please try to stop worrying that you will never find him.  In fact, my advice is to put off finding him for a few years because  you will be married to him for a long time and will probably wish you’d have experienced more of life as a single woman.
       Don’t give up on your dreams of moving to Manhattan or taking that share on Fire Island for the summer. When you make decisions, consider that saying “No,” may be something you always regret.
       You will be a wonderful mother. You have great training. Would it kill you to tell her every once in awhile? You won’t realize until she’s gone how much of a positive influence she’s had on your life.  Trust me, she'd love to hear it from you. What's more is she deserves it. All mothers do.
       Don’t choose practicality over passion. Pursuing an accounting career is fine if that’s what you want for now, but please don’t spend 20 years doing something you really don’t enjoy. A teaching career will be way more rewarding!
       Be patient and don’t rush through life’s stages. Good things truly do come to those who wait and hard work teaches us to be appreciative. Enjoy all the moments, big and small. Be present and always present your best self.
       I could go on and on, but there are things that are best left for you to discover on your own. But the one thing I cannot stress enough is not to hold onto so many things. You may think that they serve as memories. Really, they just clutter up your life.  The memories stay in your heart so throw the stuff out! You’ll thank me in the long run.
       Oh, and one final thing….don't forget to write!


Love,
Me




       

5 comments:

  1. Love the idea of using what you know today to reflect back and give advice to you younger self. How clever. Your letter was touching and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this letter to my younger self idea so many times and have had ideas swirling in my own head. In all honesty, though, I haven't been brave enough to write the letter. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for not forgetting to write! You just gave me a wonderful start for this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this part:
    Be patient and don’t rush through life’s stages. Good things truly do come to those who wait and hard work teaches us to be appreciative. Enjoy all the moments, big and small. Be present and always present your best self.
    That's advice we could use even today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this - maybe I will borrow the idea for a future 'slice.' I love how your wisdom interacts with your teenage thoughts. Thanks for sharing a great post!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.