About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Monday, March 3, 2014

If I Didn't Ever….I Might Never

     *If I didn't ever fall in love as a freshman with a junior who was taking a high school 
      bookkeeping class, I might never have majored in accounting
    
        *If I didn't ever major in accounting and taken a CPA review class immediately upon  
      graduating from college, I might never have met my husband
     
       *If I didn't ever meet my husband, I might never have 
      been blessed by my two very beautiful and now very 
      grown-up daughters
   
    *If I didn't ever have those two girls, I might never 
    have worked from home as a bookkeeper for my husband’s CPA practice

     *If I didn't ever work for my husband, I might never have had a schedule that permitted me to volunteer for the PTA activities in their elementary school

      *If I didn't ever get involved with that PTA, I might never have become the treasurer on its executive board

      * If I didn't ever serve on the board, our principal might never had known me from  any other mom in his school

      *If I didn't ever work closely with the principal, I might never have become a teacher
   
     *If I did not ever become a teacher, I can’t imagine becoming.




6 comments:

  1. Your post reminds me of the poem "The Road Not Taken". I like the way you step back and reflect on the choices that brought you to where you are today! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might never
    have
    written this poem
    if not for the fact that you
    wrote your post
    and if you had never written your post
    I might never have written
    this poem
    and found a way to connect on a cold
    Monday morning
    when words are the only warmth in the air
    and I take what I can get.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you wrote the poem; thanks for sharing. I would like to do one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your finale: If I did not ever become a teacher, I can’t imagine becoming.
    I so agree!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There really is a purpose for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was touching to read.. So often you read "what if" poems--what if I had done this differently or had chosen this instead of that--and you're left thinking, okay, so what about your life has been good if you still have so many unanswered questions? Your poem was different because it wasn't at all regretful, but instead thankful. Very refreshing! Loved your last line too.. I hope someday I will be able to take a step back and say that things worked out in my favor.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.