About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

How To Crack Your Gum

the back seat of a taxi cab
she is glamorous not the soft kind of glamour
the gritty kind, a tough cookie

guess that’s where I get it from

from her purse, a piece of Dentyne
she peels the wrapper off for me
pops another into her mouth

not cinnamon, gotta be spearmint

me- about 5, maybe 6
going to visit my bubbe in the hospital
my mother, her only daughter

she is afraid

get just enough spit in the gum, she instructs
turn it around with your tongue
round and round, keep chewing

i keep trying ….nothing

this lesson distracts her
from what she knows is coming
she will lose her mother

it’s way harder than blowing bubbles

her gum goes crack crack crack
i love the sound
like little fireworks

crisp explosions…pop pop pop

did you hear that? you did it!
she hugs me
i learned well, she taught me how

gotta be spearmint




2 comments:

  1. I can't chew gum in public anymore because I can't do it without snapping it.

    I love the story you wound around your little fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gem...this moment you shared with your mom...

    I was teary at the part...
    "this lesson distracts her
    from what she knows is coming
    she will lose her mother"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.