About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Effective Teaching


“Effective teaching is the best test preparation,” Alan commented yesterday on my post. I started thinking how we have completely lost sight of this in the face of new rules and regulations in education.

It saddens me to think that the trove of experience and know-how just in our school building alone knows what Alan knows but we have run amok trying to implement this core of common knowledge….aka The Common Core.

Yesterday, I tried to teach effectively. At least more effectively than I have been teaching lately. I quietly pushed aside the testing materials (wanted to trash them but I controlled that impulse). I took out a poem I wrote (for this writing challenge one year ago) and used it as a mentor text. And then, as a class, we wrote together….

a poem.

1 comment:

  1. What a good reminder, and good for you for doing this authentic work with your students today.. I bet it was like a breath of fresh air for everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.