About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Don’t Know How I Ever Lived Without Technology…….


The GPS – I have lived over eighty-five percent of my life without a navigation system. I am completely sense-of-direction impaired and will get lost driving around the block.  Even worse, I can’t read a map. If you don’t believe me, I invite you to read my teacher's report card comments back from my elementary school days! So how did I ever manage to get where I was going without a GPS?

An Interactive White Board– I have been teaching for 14 years and just got my own Smart Board last week. One short week and it feels like teaching without one is totally Flinstones. At the touch of my fingers, my students have immediate access to ANYTHING! Want to see the countries bordering India? Click on a map. Need a game to practice cross multiplication of fractions? Go to Smart Board Lesson exchange. Millions of people have been there, done that and made it accessible for one and all….FOR FREE!
The Princess telephone was introduced by the Bell System in 1959.

As much as we bemoan the losing face-to-face and ear-to-ear  communication because of iPhones, Facebook, Instagram,  and text messaging, I will be the first to admit:


                I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT TECHNOLOGY!

What about you? What can't you live without?

8 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you wrote this post this morning. I was thinking about this blogging/commenting marathon as I posted just now. This would NEVER have been possible without technology! (PS I LOVE MY SMART BOARD TOO! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once asked my grandmother what she believed to be the most helpful invention and she said it was the washing machine. And won't it be interesting to see what the answer to this question will be in 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Washing machine or phones? Which one could I live without?? Then there is always the Smartboard....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh good question. I know once day I forgot my phone and I felt like I left a limb somewhere! I think it's more for the security . . . there are no phone booths on just about every corner to use anymore. Do you remember those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean...I've become so spoiled with technology that I feel hindered without it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you - that cell phone is always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. E-mail (because I'm not a texter). I like writing and e-mail allows me to get my thoughts across quickly and get a response I can hold on to. (No need to file papers!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine life without technology, altho I don't have a smartphone. Love my PC and love twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.