About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Monday, March 24, 2014

Are Congratulations in the Right Order?


 Today my inbox contained an email announcing Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are Engaged and Expecting.

A few weeks ago, Savannah Guthrie of the Today show announced she had gotten married over the weekend and….drumroll please….she’s four months pregnant.

Amid the media outpouring of congratulations, am I the only one wondering if  the order of these announcements is out of order?

Indeed, we have come a long way if we are accepting the new direction of this societal convention.


The Happy Expectant Couple
And furthermore, if we do publicly accept that babies may be conceived before the wedding cake has been sliced, can Lesbian, Gay, and Transgender rights be that far off?

2 comments:

  1. I suppose we all have to walk down the path in our own shoes. A little sad for Demi, or maybe not.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid our values as a society have slowly deteriorated to the point that now we "tolerate" anything and everything. In theory tolerance sounds like a good thing. However, I am not sure that as a classroom teacher I am ready to be "tolerant" to all of the whims and new fads that are being exhibited by my students. Where do we draw the line?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.