About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Conversation With a Dragonfly


Just look at you!
All dainty and glittering
like a bubble bath.

You look familiar….

Haven’t I seen you somewhere?
Was it on the list of Insects People Like?

What they don’t know
is what an unerring hunter you are,
such a voracious aerial predator are you.

There you go….
Plotting your course like the ancient mariner
able to snatch your target in midair
focus singly on your prey amid a cloud of fluttering fraternity brothers
attack your lone target from the chaotic swarm.

Glutton….
Wolfishly consuming, tearing up your kill and mashing it into a single glob.

Munch, munch, munch…
a wad of snuff for your mouth.

Bantam creature
Bottomless appetite

Not much one for smelling or pheromonal flirtations.
Not you.

Who knew?
Gilled predator, you hatch from an egg;
Hydrojet through water in search of aquatic prey.
Until….

you are ready to spread your wings and take your hunt to the sky.

6 comments:

  1. Now I'm not so sure why I have a Charlie & Grace dragonfly belt.

    Beautiful conversation, Rissa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not a romantic side of the dragonfly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the small world . . . my class is embarking on a journey through poetry and I want them to see that anything that interests us is a fit topic for a poem. And not all poems talk about beauty in the same way.
    Love your combination of facts and sensory images.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flow of this - great poem! Your 'munch, munch' was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dainty and glittering like a bubble bath" I like that. And then you go on and tell the whole truth about the dragonfly....quite descriptive!! I like it...I like it a lot! Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea the dragonfly was so vicious-but I guess "dragon" fits! Your words make it out to be the beautiful beast it is!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.