About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Wanna Play a Game?


Ok, I’ll admit it…I’m addicted to solitaire.

Back in the day, when the game required an ample playing surface and a full deck, gamers needed time to lay out the cards and play. Now with the apps on my devices, I can play wherever and whenever I want!

Perhaps without realizing it when I was young, the allure of the game is that it allows for order in an otherwise chaotic world.  The black-red color coding and descending numerical order is sequentially soothing. And with any luck, the payoff will be a winner’s buzz from setting off  fireworks and digitally enhanced dings.  It’s like card crack.

I try to convince myself that slipping in a game or two is my reward for completion of household tasks, grading papers, or writing my SOLs.

But in the vein of a junkie, playing solitaire is simply out of my control.  The other evening, as my husband was finishing up his dinner and I was waiting to help clear off the table, I started a new game. To his disbelief, I played without an iota of contemplation of my rudeness!

I am not going to pretend I don’t make mental bargains about what needs to be accomplished before I play, but seeing how we’re all finished here, please excuse me to resume my game.

4 comments:

  1. Oh we all have our vices! I like how you use the junkie metaphor and bring us to the ending epiphany. I wanted to know what your husband said! Was he irritated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! And like Lee Ann said, we definitely all have our vices (mine is scrabble!) But I don't have a husband so I can play when I want. Although I would get more done if I didn't play. Hmmmm. Guess it could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line, "It's like card crack." You brought back memories of playing all kinds of card games throughout my life. I came from a card-playing family. My dad would fall asleep with the cards in his hand while playing solitaire. Funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mommy loved solitairre too. did you know?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.