About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tossin' and Turnin'


Sleeping was so always easy for me.  Falling asleep? Staying asleep? Never a problem.
Until now.

Now I’ve got post menopausal, ragingly hormonal sleeps.
Getting really tired isn’t difficult. I’m a second grade teacher. Need I say more?

So each night, exhausted I climb into bed with the dreaded anticipation that I will awaken to use the loo and stay awake.

And that’s pretty much my nightly sleeptime adventure beginning with an early bedtime and getting interrupted at 2:30 am.

I used to boast that as a commuter without a seat on the railroad, I was able to fall asleep standing up! Although I’m still able to steal a 5 minute catnap anywhere and anytime, these little dozes do nothing to replenish my energy like a good night’s sleep.

But, as much as I fear sleeplessness why do I still greet bedtime with such delight?




7 comments:

  1. 'Cause you are tired!!!!!!!! For a little while, my "internal wake up call" was at 3:45 and then I realized I should just get up and start the day....but I am not sure 2:30 will work on that! VITAMINS....B12 and others help SOME of us...and someday....you will sleep through the night again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up on thinking that sleeping all night will occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The older I get, the less my sleep is sound. Even when I was teaching 7th graders, depending on how the day went, I couldn't sleep well. Naps were the best then--if and when I can get them. Being retired I get 8 hours so to speak--tossing, turning, all night long. When I have a real night of sleeping I cherish it. Sometimes you can be over-tired?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the time I get home, I just want to pass out on the couch. Sometimes I resist thinking that my sleeping will be better, HA! I bought a sleep mask and double lined curtains and I cover up everything that could possibly give off light. I don't even have an alarm clock! If I'm lucky, I do get about 4 hours! But I'm rarely lucky.

    You just made me sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having iPad commenting issues this evening! Sorry to hear sleep is interrupted. It probably won't make you feel better, but apparently there's a history of such sleep patterns. I heard a story from the BBC which your post called to mind. The story detailed historical notes about "the first sleep" and "the second sleep." like you, I just want the full night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never had sleeping issues until I had teenagers. Their body clocks are very different from mine- they stay out late, go to bed late, and get up late! Wish we could synchronize!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.