About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Monday, March 4, 2013

There's no wisdom in those teeth


I already felt the inevitable. I hoped surgery wouldn't be necessary but I knew it would.

The dentist said "You'll be fine in a few days and back to work on Monday."
She decided to take Monday off. Smart girl.

Tuesday wasn't any better and she didn't last the day in her office.  Wednesday was even worse and by Thursday she was back in her old bed in my house.

When Riana asked me how I felt when my own wisdom teeth were removed, I struggled to recall the pain. What I remember is feeling the way I do whenever I’m under the weather.....DON'T COME NEAR ME.

I’m a horrible patient. I don’t like anyone to fuss over me. I have a high tolerance for misery and prefer to be alone in mine, thank you very much.

So I marvel at how my daughter lets me take care of her; needs me to.

As I administered her meds, timed the ice packs, prepared soft food, I realized not much has changed since she was a little girl. Although she now sleeps through the night, still she seeks comfort through heartbreaks and hurt feelings..still she wants to be taken care of by mommy, content in my arms. 

Not always easily comforted, she inspires me to be a more patient mother…making me more aware of how different we are. Grateful am I.

This too shall pass Riana…….you will feel better soon.

5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when I had my wisdom teeth removed to many years ago now. I have always liked to feel like I was independent and didn't need to rely on my Mom for anything regardless of pain, heart ache or school work.
    She always saw through my tough girl facade and knew I couldn't resist the hugs, apple sauce, or popsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I am 50 something, Nanc... this sentence

    Although she now sleeps through the night, still she seeks comfort through heartbreaks and hurt feelings..still she wants to be taken care of by mommy, content in my arms.

    very powerful...I still want my my mom to this day xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a beautiful post. Whenever I'm not feeling well, the first person I go to is my mother. I think that's how it will always be for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post reminds me of my Mom. She is the first person I go to, too. What love there is between mothers and daughters--what a blessing! I hope Riana is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not the fussing over you that is important, it's the fact someone cares enough to take care of every need, even before you need it. That's the nice part of being a patient. Riana is a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.