About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Onward Writer!


My first writing memory is when I plagiarized. My fourth grade teacher was so kind. She didn’t even make me feel like the idiot I was for copying the blurb of my library book for our weekly book report assignment. I still tell the story about how she quietly called me over to her desk to respectfully bust me.

No more writing memories until the traumatic red marks made their appearance in the margins of my college papers freshman year and I mean ALL over. I sucked.
Or at least my English Comp professor thought so.

Fast forward ….. graduate school in my thirties. Finally, a teacher who believed in me as a writer! I'll always remember her empowering little yellow comment post-its.  Actually, there were a few professors who encouraged me to find my voice by writing more.

I’m still looking for my voice.
Sometimes when I think I’ve found it, I lose it again!
 
This month’s SOL challenge is helping. Comments from fellow Slicers help.
Thank you to Stacey and Ruth for providing this forum to help us practice and share our writing.

4 comments:

  1. Sad that so many of us remember traumatic experiences with writing. Sad that so many teachers think teaching people to write is about pointing out the mistakes, instead of pointing out the parts that work and saying, "Can you do this again?" Glad you had at least one teacher that supported you as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the line, "Sometimes when I think I've found it, I lose it again!" - that's exactly how I feel! One day I'll have great stuff to write about and it comes out just right, and the next...nothing. Good to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me how this writing community helps me to become a stronger writer and as you said it, find my voice. Great little reflection here and sharing of past writing memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "to respectfully bust me" so good! Nice choice of words.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.