About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

My Place in The Family


I am the oldest child in my family. My sister came along when I was in kindergarten and I was not happy about that at all. I liked being the only child in the spotlight for five years.

I used to boss her around and tell her what to do. I used to play the See Who Has More game with my sister. I would take advantage of the five year difference by getting her to fork over her M&Ms without any remorse whatsoever!

But as much as I wanted to be the only child back then, I sure am happy I have my sister now.

Especially when your parents are gone, and it’s just you and your sister representing.



I still tell her what to do. Sometimes she tells me what to do.
I share my M&Ms with her now.

It’s just me and my sister left in our family and we have to hold onto each other…..tight.

6 comments:

  1. It is amazing how those relationships ebb and flow. Change in ways we never imagined. Your details paint the picture and come back around to tell a new story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I love this slice. Especially as someone who is content with having just one child right now. (And I'm an only child.) You make me realize why it's important to have a second. Perhaps my daughter will one day be as blessed as you and your sister are to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these words. I have an older sister...and we have become quite close. I like how now you share your M&Ms and now sometimes she tells you what to do. Same thing has happened to us. It is so sweet to have a sister. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a brother I love like that and several close girlfriends I count as sisters. Family matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also the oldest sister. Even though we haven't always gotten along, I'm so grateful for my little sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the little sister Sheilah...I am so grateful for you and your lovely family...but most of all, I am grateful for the M & M's, not that I need them at all today. A footnote: Rissa used split up the M & M's by color, one brown for you, one brown for me, two yellows for you, two yellows for me. Then, she would PRETEND to eat all of hers, and look sad, so that I, in all my codependency, would feel bad and give her some of my share.Then to make matters worse, or to build my character, she would let me know that she actually had a stockpile. Not sure how to categorize that, but I'm happy to say we survived that and I love you very much. Can't wait for Sunday, brunch and play and most of all company.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.