About Me

I am a second-career teacher. In my other life, I crunched numbers as an accountant. Probably would have made a great math teacher had the thought occurred to me. No matter, I'm where I'm supposed to be; teaching third grade. Before that, 2nd grade and before that kindergarten. I have 2 grown daughters, 2 poodles, and 1 hubby. I live and work on Long Island.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Teacher's Unconditional Love





I’m lucky this year. Each apple in the bunch is a good one. My students help me remember what I love about teaching.

If they don’t understand something the first time, they try harder.
If they don’t do their very best work, they accept responsibility.
If they make a wrong choice, they reflect and promise to think before they act next time.

They help each other and are kind.
They are extremely adorable.
When they arrive at school they say “Good morning.”
They tell me to have a great day when they leave at dismissal.

Their parents are realistic about their weaknesses and appreciate their strengths. They make sure their homework gets done nightly.
The apples don’t fall far from the tree, do they?

Today was Valentine’s Day. They literally showered me not only with chocolates, lollypops, cards, and hugs. They showered me with love.

I must hold onto these feelings of being loved unconditionally by my students because I realize it does not always happen this way in one classroom in one school year.

For now, I enjoy coming to work each and every day and I am extraordinarily grateful.

7 comments:

  1. Some groups are indeed easier; however, the ones I remember longest are the ones that challenge me every day to engage them and keep them engaged in learning and caring for each other. They may be the ones who need us the most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, lucky and it sound like these children are lucky, lucky too. I'm not sure I've ever had a group quite like yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful...a year like this will sustain you for the difficult ones. Enjoy and bask in it - you've earned this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cherish this year. Cherish every moment you can. I am happy for you and your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an enchanted year, savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel blessed! And remember every moment as they will help you in future moments that might not resemble the present ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a wonderful class for a wonderful teacher.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for leaving one.